Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Ancient Corinth

Acrocorinth (Gr. Ακροκόρινθος), the acropolis of Corinth, is a monolithic rock overseeing the ancient city of Corinth, Greece. It was continuously occupied from archaic times to the early nineteenth century.

The city Corinth was founded in the Neolithic Age, circa 6000 BC. According to myth, the city was founded by Corinthos, a descendant of the god Helios (the Sun), while other myths suggest that it was founded by the goddess Ephyra, a daughter of the titan Oceanus, thus the ancient name of the city (also Ephyra). There is evidence that the city was destroyed around 2000 BC.We have been to Corinth on 29th April, Sunday. One and half hour drive from Athens on E94 highway next to the sea. The coastal areas are really beautiful and anyone can enjoy the drive. In the Driveway the landscape was fascinating as usual. The tough part is on the way to castle, it is stiff and exiting. The view from the castle is really beautiful. Once we reached the castle, we found it as it is somewhere in Middle-east, hot humid and full of ancient stones. The city is very ancient and the acropological ruins have been found in many place, like the ancient theater in the above picture। Natural beauty of Corinth is enchanting and majestic.

Three circuit walls formed the man-made defense of the hill. The highest peak on the site was home to a temple to Aphrodite which was Christianized as a church, and then became a mosque. The American School began excavations on it in 1929. Currently, Acrocorinth is one of the most important medieval castle sites of Greece.

I will rate this place very high in terms of archeology and ancient come natural beauties. If one is planning to visit Greece, this is a must seen place with a combined package of Sea, Canal, Hills, Castle, Museum and Acropolis.

6 comments:

Mridula said...

I have been to Greece long time back but for a very short time to Athens. You seem to have explored it a lot or is it that you live there? as I have seen only a few posts of yours I thought I will ask. Lovely pictures.

Cuckoo said...

Heyy your blog looks beautiful. Liked it very much. Treat me as your regular here.

Though been to many parts of Europe but couldn't go to Greece coz of lack of time. :((

I think I can see Greece through your eyes.
I too have a blog (not the one you have visited) where I record experiences of the places I have been to. It is not very old.
You can visit it at http://cuculuss.blogspot.com

and I am blogrolling you there.

Pijush said...

Mridula,
Thanks for visiting my blog. I am here for last 7 months and will be another few months. But truly speaking your travel blog is exceptional. Keep visiting.

Cuckoo,
I have seen your Travel blog also, it is interesting. Some of your posts are excellent(specially in the Nest) and I am taking some time to go though your older posts. Keep visiting.

Cuckoo said...

:))))
Thanks for the appreciation.

Take your time to read the posts. And don't forget to comment wherever you want to. It'll boost me up to write better & better. :)

I will also take sometime to go thru all your posts. Expect comments from me.

Sigma said...

Greek places have such enchanting names!
The names, and pictures, and your descriptions makes me long to visit these :-))

Pijush said...

@Cuckoo, Its my pleasure.. Please keep coming and leave comment.
Sometime my feedbacks are tough :(

@Sigma, Thank You, I have added your one also in this blog.